Friday, March 18, 2011

Look Mom, No Hands!

Photos8.com
If you are a control freak like me, you may feel like you have to keep a tight rein on how everything happens around you.  You need to know what is going on at all times.  Each and every moment is closely scrutinized to make sure something productive is happening.  Slowly, you give yourself over to the routine and stop really living.  This is how I have spent most of my life.

When I was a Christian, the idea of “giving it all to God” and letting Him run my life really troubled me.  Why the heck would the creator of the Universe give a flap what I was worried about or needed help with?  How would I get everything done that I wanted to in life if someone else was in control?  Needless to say, God and I decided to see other people and I eventually found myself on an Earth-based path.

Through my reading and studying of late, I came upon the most peculiar idea.  What if I didn’t have to be in the driver’s seat all the time?  What if I could work with the Divine / Universe to fulfill my life’s mission?  Maybe the Christians weren’t so totally wrong about that after all.

My own version of co-creating with the Universe has several parts to it. 

First, I write in my journal each morning.  “The Artist’s Way” by Julia Cameron presents the idea of Morning Pages to help de-clutter the mind and get in the habit of doing something for yourself each day.  For me, the journal generally consists of my activities from the previous day, what I need to work on during that day, and updates on how my projects are going.  Quite often, I find myself setting goals, venting pent up anger, and showing gentleness to myself in these pages.  They are not meant to be shared with anyone, but allow you to get all the garbage floating around in your head onto the page.

I have also gotten into the habit of thanking the Universe for providing me the things that I need when I first notice that I need them.  I learned this technique from a book that I am reviewing for Weiser Books called “I’m Spiritual, Dammit” by Jenniffer Weigel.  This may seem a little strange, but acknowledging my needs and that asking for Divine assistance has led to a plethora of synchronicities of late.  I suggest starting with something small, like finding something you have misplaced or finding a parking spot, and see how it works out.

The last part is beginning to treat yourself with the love and respect that you deserve.  We are sometimes harder on ourselves than we are on other people, pushing ourselves to meet the unattainable standards that we have set.  When we don’t meet those goals, we start abusing ourselves or shut down in defeat.  This isn’t how it is supposed to be!  We need to be gentle with ourselves when we fail, learn, and then move on without judgment.  When we succeed, we should be our biggest cheerleader.  I have found that denying myself the love that I have for me and cutting myself off from the things I need and wants does no good for me.  When you start doing this, it cuts you off from the Universal flow of giving and receiving.

Now, this doesn’t mean that we can sit back and expect everything to happen for us without effort.  I can’t wave my magic wand and the house clean up itself, but I may find something that I have been searching for while I am cleaning or could get a notice on my door from a cleaning service with reasonable rates.  It is about working smart to get the things you need and want accomplished as opposed to avoiding work completely.

I haven’t completely given up my tight grip on the wheel yet, but I have allowed the Universe to navigate more.  When you start looking, you will notice the doors to what you desire will start opening up before you.  Have the courage to follow them to where they might lead and begin co-creating your life.

8 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

"God and I decided to see other people" -- hahahahahaha, good one!

Sparrow said...

I got that one from Lafayette on True Blood ;)

Sairs said...

Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog. I really liked this post. I am actually Wiccan myself and often ask the universe for help but also putting in the work to make it easier for them to help me. I also know that I have to be precise in what I ask for or I could end up with a literal meaning [which I'm sure they find amusing]. I am glad you have some furry children to keep you company. I love my girl Missy, she is such a joy and curled up just near me right now.
~Sarah~

Tillie & Georgia said...

Thank you for stopping by our blog and your kind words for Mickey. We miss him a lot.He was a really nice kitty.
Purrs Tillie & Georgia

Hilary said...

I am a control freak, so I really loved this post!

Brian said...

I really love the "look, no paws" approach!!!

Manisha said...

Accounting Software Training
Aptuit is an accounting software training and education venture. Aptuit is dedicated to support individual and corporates, to achieve their operational goals at optimum levels of effectiveness and efficiency. Aptuit is derived from combination of two most precious words "Aptitude" and "Technology" for accounting a profession.
http://www.aptuit.in/

I Wonder Wye said...

Hard to give up that control but daily attempt to be more Zen about life...we call ourselves the Witches of Wye (WOW) on Wye Mt., because although most of our neighbors are great -- some are a wee bit scary -- I call it the Deliverance factor -- and when I met a new girlfriend up here we were laughing and I said they probably think I'm a witch because when they drive by I'm in the yard doing yoga or something, and she replied they DO think she's a witch because they chopped some of her trees and she was out sprinkling herbs and chanting and they were spying on her, so we laughed and decided to go with it...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails