Here are some tips to keep in mind when choosing your magickal name.
- Be creative! Don’t use the name someone else is using because it sounds cool. Odds are you can come up with something that fits your personality and spiritual walk better. Plus, if you might end up as BlueMoon8952 when you go to sign up for a forum.
- Don’t force it! If you are unable to think up the perfect name for yourself, do not settle for something that does not feel right. Wait a while and go on your normal routine. Pay careful attention to your dreams and monitor your thoughts while you are doing repetitive or mundane tasks. You will likely get your answer when you least expect it.
- Do not pick something that is condescending or harmful to others! This should not be an issue, but some people do not think about the effect that their name has on other people. Though not everyone follows the Wiccan Rede, harming others has a way of coming back to bite you in the butt. Be respectful of other people and their paths and do not pick something that is rude, gross or hurtful.
- Most importantly – magickal names change! The whole purpose behind spiritual study is to grow. As you do, your magickal name may no longer fit or may not feel right anymore. No reason to panic. Meditate and pick a new one.
- Most people will mull it over for a few days and make sure it fits and feels right. If it does not feel just right, think it over some more.
- You can make it official. Go through a naming ceremony and take the name for yourself before Deity (and coven if you have one).
- Begin telling others your magickal name, if you choose to do so.