Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Book Review: The Writing Diet

The Writing Diet: Write Yourself Right-Size
Written By: Julia Cameron
Published By: Penguin Group (USA)
Page Count: 256
ISBN-13: 9781615594993
ISBN-10: 161559499X

Publisher’s Comments: Use writing to take off the pounds! Over the course of the past twenty-five years, Julia Cameron has taught thousands of artists and aspiring artists how to unblock wellsprings of creativity. And time and again she has noticed an interesting thing: Often when her students uncover their creative selves they also undergo a surprising physical transformation— invigorated by their work, they slim down. In The Writing Diet, Cameron illuminates the relationship between creativity and eating to reveal a crucial equation: Creativity can block overeating. This inspiring weight-loss program directs readers to count words instead of calories, to substitute their writing’s “food for thought” for actual food. The Writing Diet presents a brilliant plan for using one of the soul’s deepest and most abiding appetites—the desire to be creative—to lose weight and keep it off forever.

My Review: Author and creativity expert Julia Cameron is not a doctor or dietician, but she did notice something interesting about the students in her workshops.  As her students were tackling the blocks to their creativity, they were beginning to slim down before her eyes.  “The Writing Diet” is the product of that observation.

Cameron explains her belief about how people use food to block out parts of their lives.  In many cases, overeating also blocks the person’s creativity and causes them to drop into a deeper food-filled depression.  The author developed seven tools to help get readers back on the path to fulfillment and wellness.

The book is broken up into two parts – the first section explaining the tools while the second part talks about situations you may find yourself and solutions to potential problems you may face on the diet.  Each section is followed up with topics to think about and questions for you to answer for yourself.

What I like most about this book and the diet within is that it was created to be used in conjunction with another food-based diet.  Whether you are already on Weight Watchers, South Beach or doing your own thing from home, the tools in this book will add value to that effort.  Even once you have met your goal weight, extended use of the tools will make sure you stay slim and keep your creative juices flowing.

1 comments:

Selma Espinosa said...

My name is Selma Espinosa I'm a 46 years old mother with 3 adorable kids and I have been married for 17 years now. After the birth of our last daughter 2 years ago, I noticed something about my husband that was completely different. He comes home late every night, sleeps on the couch never in the bedroom with me and doesn't give attention to me or the kids. I remember the night he came home drunk and told me he was no longer attracted to me after I had kids.
I cried myself to sleep that night, I could not believe that the man I have loved all my life will someday stopped loving me. Just few days to our wedding anniversary, he stopped coming home and would not take my calls. I had to talk to a friend and she suggested I contact a spell caster who could help me bring back his love and attention. It was the first time I heard such stuff existed, I give it a try with high expectations. After my contact with the Priest spellcaster, he helped me cast a spell that made my husband return home to me and our kids. I know a lot of people need this to help them stay happy in their marriages. You can contact Priest Obongibok let him help you; write him on email OBONGIBOK@PRIEST.COM or WhatsApp +13612367973.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails