Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Quotes About Books


A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end.  You live several lives while reading it.  ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

If there's a book you really want to read but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.  ~Toni Morrison

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.  ~Anna Quindlen, "Enough Bookshelves," New York Times, 7 August 1991

I find television to be very educating.  Every time somebody turns on the set, I go in the other room and read a book.  ~Groucho Marx

A book must be an ice-axe to break the seas frozen inside our soul.  ~Franz Kafka

To choose a good book, look in an inquisitor’s prohibited list.  ~John Aikin

Books can be dangerous.  The best ones should be labeled "This could change your life."  ~Helen Exley

When you reread a classic you do not see more in the book than you did before; you see more in you than was there before.  ~Clifton Fadiman

He who lends a book is an idiot.  He who returns the book is more of an idiot.  ~Arabic Proverb

The best of a book is not the thought which it contains, but the thought which it suggests; just as the charm of music dwells not in the tones but in the echoes of our hearts.  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes     

5 comments:

Mother's Moon's Message said...

I love the last quote... so true so true...

~Onreeone~ said...

I love all of these quotes! Reading has always been a way for me to escape to another place. I often read before falling to sleep at night. It helps me relax.

City Wiccan said...

I like the Arabic Proverb . . . that one rings most true to me. I read life changing books and then insist everyone else should read them . . . when I give them away I think, that was stupid!

Forgetfulone said...

I love that Toni Morrison quote! Wish I could write the book I want to read!

Kristen said...

I love Anna Quindlen's quote. I have more books than I have shelves and that's the normal I want my kids to believe in.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails